Charles S Eby, MD
Professor, Pathology & Immunology
Interim Chairman, Pathology & Immunology
Co-Chief, Division of Laboratory and Genomic Medicine
- Professor, Medicine
- Medical Director, Barnes Jewish Hospital Laboratories
- B.S. in Zoology: Duke University, Durham, NC (1977)
- M.D.: Vanderbilt University, Nashville, TN (1981)
- Medical Residency: University of Rochester School of Medicine and Dentistry, Strong Memorial Hospital, Rochester, NY (1984)
- Chief Residency, Instructor and Chief Resident in Medicine: University of Rochester School of Medicine and Dentistry, Strong Memorial Hospital, Rochester, NY (1985)
- Instructor and Fellow in Medicine, Medical Oncology Unit: University of Rochester School of Medicine and Dentistry, Strong Memorial Hospital, Rochester, NY (1986)
- Instructor and Fellow in Medicine, Hematology Unit: University of Rochester School of Medicine and Dentistry, Strong Memorial Hospital, Rochester, NY (1987)
- Fellow in Transfusion Medicine, Division of Laboratory Medicine: Washington University School of Medicine, St. Louis, MO (1989)
- National Board of Medical Examiners, 1982
- Diplomate, American Board of Internal Medicine, 1984
- Medical Oncology, 1987
- Hematology, 1988
- Transfusion Medicine Subspecialty, American Board of Pathology, 1995
- 1980 Alpha Omega Alpha Honorary Society
- 2014 College of American Pathologist Lifetime Achievement Award
- Blood Bank & Transfusion Medicine
- Hematology & Hemostasis
Dr. Eby’s research is in the genetic contribution to variability of warfarin dosing through analysis of SNPs in cytochrome 2C9, VKOR and other genes.
- Eby CS. Heparin Induced thrombocytopenia. Clin Lab Sci J 1999;12:365-369.
- Ridker PM, Golhaber SZ, Danielson MIA, Rosenberg Y, Eby CS, et al. Long-term, Low-intensity Warfarin Therapy for the Prevention of Recurrent Venous Thromboembolism. N Engl J Med 2003;348:1425-34.
- Voora D, Eby C, Linder MW, Milligan PE, Bukaveckas BL, McLeod HL, Maloney W, Clohisy J, Burnett RS, Grosso L, Gatchel SK, Gage BF. Prospective Dosing of Warfarin Based on Cytochrome P-450 2C9 genotype. Thromb Haemost. 2005;4:700-5.
- Rieder MJ, Reiner AP, Gage BF, Nickerson DA, Eby CS, McLeod HL, Blough DK, Thummel KE, Veenstra DL, Rettie AE. Effect of VKORC1 Haplotypes on Transscriptional Regulation and Warfarin Dose. N Engl J Med 2005; 352:2285-2293.
- Rafaai MA, Lukoszyk M, Hughes J, Van Cott EM, Eby CS. Cold-Dependent Loss of Factor VIII and von Willebrand Factor Activity in Citrated Whole Blood is Reversed by Rewarming. Am J Clin Path 2005;124:972-3.
- King CR, Porche-Sorbet RM, Gage BF, Ridker PM, Renaud Y, Phillips MS, Eby CS. Performance of Commercial Platforms for Rapid Genotyping of Polymorphisms Affecting Warfarin Dose. Am J Clin Path 2008;129:876-83.
- Li J, Gronowski AM, Eby CS. Lamellar Body Counts Performed on Automated Hematology Analyzers to Assess Fetal Lung Maturity. Lab Medicine 2008;39:419-424.
- Eby CS. Pathogenesis and Management of Bleeding and Thrombosis in Plasma Cell Disorders. Br J Haematology 2009;145:151-63.
- Eby CS. Antiphospholipid Syndrome Review. Clinics in Laboratory Medicine 2009;29:305-19.
- Ferder NS, Eby CS, Deych E, Harris JK, Ridker PM, Milligan PE, Goldhaber SZ, King CR, Giri T, McLeod HL, Glynn RJ, Gage BF. Ability of VKORC1 and CYP2C9 to Predict Therapeutic Warfarin Dose during the Initial Weeks of Therapy. J Thromb Haemost 2010;8:95-100.
- Liu C, Shah K, Dynis M, Eby CS, Grossman BJ. Linear Relationship between Lymphocyte Counts in Peripheral Blood and Buffy Coat Collected during Extracorporeal Photopheresis. Transfusion 2013;53:2635-43.
- Eby CS. Novel Anticoagulants and Laboratory Testing. Int J Lab Hematol 2013;35:262-8.
- Kimmel SE, French B, Kasner SE, Johnson JA, Anderson JL, Gage BF, Rosenberg YD, Eby CS, Madigan RA, McBane RB, Abdel-Rahman SZ, Stevens SM, Yale S, Mohler ER 3rd, Fang MC, Shah V, Horenstein RB, Limdi NA, Muldowney JA 3rd, Gujral J, Delafontaine P, Desnick RJ, Ortel TL, Billett HH, Pendleton RC, Geller NL, Halperin JL, Goldhaber SZ, Caldwell MD, Califf RM, Ellenberg JH; COAG Investigators. A Pharmacogenetic Versus a Clinical Algorithm for Warfarin Dosing. N Engl J Med 2013;369:2283-93
- Otrock ZK, Eby CS. Clinical Characteristics, Prognostic Factors, and Outcomes of Adult Patients with Hemophagocytic Lymphohistiocytosis. Am J Hematol 2015;3:220-4.
Office Location: BJC-IH Building, Room 4407