Pathology is a fascinating medical field, with many opportunities and a number of different career paths within the many branches of diagnostic medicine. Unfortunately, medical students are often times not familiar with this interesting and evolving specialty. And this is even more true for medical students from disadvantaged backgrounds. As a result, increasing diversity has been a challenge in pathology, and the field is at a disadvantage of not counting on the much broader perspectives that a diverse team may bring.
With that in mind, the Department of Pathology and Immunology at WUSM invites medical students from to join our department for a rotation and discover our specialty. In an effort to stimulate this initiative, an award will be given to selected applicants, including stipends to facilitate their rotation.
During the rotation, the invited student will have experiences in Anatomical pathology and Clinical pathology, interact with our residents and faculty and receive dedicated mentorship. Our goal is to promote diversity by bringing disadvantaged medical students to pathology, and pathology to them.
All full-time medical students in good academic standing are welcome to apply through our online application system. Fourth-year medical students must apply by completing our online application and the Visiting Student Learning Opportunities (VSLO) application. Acceptance is contingent on space availability during the preferred time period. Trainees from disadvantaged and diverse backgrounds are encouraged to apply.
- Medical students enrolled in an allopathic or osteopathic medical school in the U.S.
- Complete Visiting Student Learning Opportunities (VSLO) application
- Interest in pursuing a career in pathology
- Preferably medical students prior to application for residency
- Participation in clinical and anatomic laboratory activities
- Mentorship throughout a one-month rotation
- Meet members of the Department of Pathology & Immunology
- Get to know the most lively and eclectic neighborhoods in St. Louis – steps away from campus!
- Please apply through our online application system at fellowships.path.wustl.edu
- Fourth-year medical students complete our online application and the Visiting Student Learning Opportunities (VSLO) application
- Include documentation from your medical school indicating your good standing and eligibility for an away rotation
- Curriculum Vitae/Resume (PDF)
- Include a letter of support from a teacher or mentor
- Include a two-page, double-spaced narrative indicating interest in the program, and how your background life experiences will contribute to a diverse environment within the field of Pathology.
- Invaluable experience with a nation-leading pathology department
- $3,000 stipend per applicant
- Paid lodging for non-WUSM students
- Book award
- Recognition Plaque presented upon program completion